Old
10-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
I don't think the players would accept an 52% HRR, but it is much more reasonable than the owners current 43% probably. If the owners said 50/50 was the best they would do, are they going to start offering the players 49% and then 48%?

It's not just about what you or I call fair. It's against a backdrop of record revenues where players were promised a range of 54-57% IF revenues grew. The carrot was revenue growth. Implicit in that then must be that if revenues grow, so can the players' share since the teams would be better off with higher revenues than lower revenues.

What changed?

If you say the revenue growth was uneven, I think the PA has accepted that point, suggesting targeted revenue sharing, taking what they agree to give back in terms of future share of the pie and directing it to the weaker teams. They don't feel they should take a cut so the Leafs can pocket even more money, for example.

It's not an unreasonable suggestion if the reason for taking the money back is indeed to bolster franchises that need bolstering.