UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The owners' end game is:

*48-50% share of HRR, preferably with some things redefined
*Term limits to contracts
*End to cap massaging techniques above and beyond the term limits (variance of contract value year to year)
*End to burying contracts in other leagues (cap circumvention)
*Count any NHL team contract against the cap no matter where the player is playing
*Change in UFA age, redo of ELC to squeeze in more salary restraints
*Some increase in RS if the big teams get to keep even more money

This was telegraphed by Bettman for a couple of years now, and there are team exec quotes that have passed on the target share, some from November of 2011.
I think the extra stuff the owners are looking for is just a much a barrier to a deal as the HRR split (and what to do about the contracts). The UFA, ELC, RFA rules were what the players got in exchange for agreeing to the cap - this time around the owners want to keep the cap but take away what they gave players in exchange for it. It's no surprise that they have a problem with this.

I think the owners should stop pushing for the other items (outside the HRR split). If you've got the cap there it alone will constrain the amount the teams can spend each year.

The unfortunate part of this is that it's simply a "take take take" negotiation - the owners only objective is to take as much from the players as they can - which means the players' sole focus is minimizing what can be taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Didn't say it was Fehr's fault, just that the owners were "scared" and didn't want to give too much too fast.

And you just described almost all major business negotiations. They all start out at the extreme and work toward the middle.

De-linking salaries is why we don't have the NHL right now, not the ridiculous first offer.
The ridiculous first offer is one of the reasons you have de-linking salaries - and the ridiculous first offer is very much one of the reasons we don't have the NHL.

And no, not all major business negotiations start out as extreme as the NHL did - particularly when both sides are going to have an ongoing, and heavily intertwined, relationship with each other - in fact, many commentators I have read would agree with me that the owners' initial offer is a major reason that the negotiations immediately went as bad as they would.