View Single Post
10-27-2012, 02:58 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Seems reasonable to me. I realize that Russian hockey declined after the fall of the USSR, but look at how many fewer Russians there are than Canadians in the NHL now that it's more or less integrated.

I do think Makarov is way too low, however.
And why is that? I tell you... many average NHL-level players stay in Russia. In the end you have absolutely top Russians here and youngsters who try to make it big time. All other average NHL-level talent left or never even came to NA.

And to counter with one extra point. Why you could make a case that Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are among top 10 players in the NHL? So you have ten best players in the world and 4 of them might be Russians, while two of them are for sure.

Now, consider this. Until just 4-5 years ago Russian youth hockey system was a chaos. There were no system. And all those 4 players were playing their youth hockey in such conditions.

So somehow this "chaos system" produces better top talent than Canada and yet, all the Russians who never played in the NHL during Soviet times can't be possibly as good as top NA players. Players that trained and were developed when Russian hockey had actually a strong system in place. Makes sense. It really does.