View Single Post
Old
10-27-2012, 10:15 PM
MJF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
It isn't a reach because sports teams do not represent only the lone county that they play in. The Islanders play on Long Island, and a whopping THIRTY MINUTES from what is politically known as Long Island. There is no reason they can't have a name that reflects that.

One of the biggest detriments to the Islanders franchise as a brand, since it's inception was the idea (that is not shared by ANY other team in pro sports except maybe the GB Packers) that the team only represents the immediate area it plays in. The Rangers had no problem representing Long Island, as well as NYC, NYS, NJ, and CT, but the Islanders and their fans had the idea that the team can only matter to the people within a half hour of the arena. And gee, look, we're broke. It's time for the team to get away from that mentality and join the rest of pro sports where the teams represent the entire region in which they play.
The Rangers represented a region they had to themselves for over 50 years until the Isles came into existence. The majority of other teams in pro sports had their markets cornered. No other competition.

The Isles also seemed to be content to not look to market themselves much west of the city line. Except for a few player appearances at a bank in Hollis in the mid -1970's I can't remember the Islanders ever having a marketing campaign that appeared in anything other than Newsday. Seems to me they only courted the fans in the county they played in and Suffolk County. It wasn't a detirment in the late '70s for the Isles to be thought of as the Island's team. And as a NYC resident it didn't bother me in the least.