View Single Post
Old
10-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancoke13 View Post
28 team league is ideal imo. Get rid of the Coyotes and Blue Jackets, relocate Panthers and the Canes to Canada, or vise versa
Like it or not, the NHL believes that for now, 30 teams is the optimum size. Contraction is not an option, not even a word in their vocabulary. Your core point however, that a smaller more compact & elite league is one with plenty of support on both sides of the Border. Exclusive as opposed to being inclusive, dispensing with Revenue Sharing, a soft Cap, maybe 16 Teams in total, fewer games etc. Alas, thats just not in the cards.

The Panthers have a Lease that runs through 2029 I believe, and despite the team being a lost leader, the building itself makes money. Tallon is in the midst of a re-build after over a decade of complete failure, and I do believe they will turn the corner, succeed. Carolina is run by the parsimonious Rutherford & Karmano's, and here again, the building does extremely well, the team too always competitive, a Cup under their belt, going nowhere. Columbus, thanks to Brain Dead GM Doug MacLean and a beyond horrible Lease was pushed to the brink, but those problems are gone, absolutely no reason for the NHL to fail in Ohio. As for Phoenix, ya, looks like a Relo job for sure, and for that I blame NHL Inc. Not Moyes, not the fans, the league itself.