Old
05-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Rereading a thread from Oct. 16 entitled "let's be honest here, where are we. middle of the pack, maybe ?", and I came across these two posts I made:

"Another team I thought could surprise, and so far is doing just that, is Carolina. Cam Ward is the most underrated Calder candidate on the planet, and Eric Staal is the most underrated young star. Commodore, Hutchinson, Kaberle and Tverdovsky helped shore up the defence, while Zigomanis and Stillman add some offensive punch. Brind'amour is playing like he did during their Stanley Cup run, Vasicek is reaching his potential, and Vrbata and Williams are on the brink. I think the Canes will be challenging for a playoff berth a lot longer than anyone figured."

I...ahem...meant challenging for a Stanley Cup berth LOL.

Here's another post from that same thread:

"I don't think too much tinkering is needed to shore up the forward units.

Call up Murray, demote Dagenais.

Zed Koivu Kovy
Pleks Ribs Ryder
Bulis Bonk Perez/Sunny
Higgins Begin Murray/Sunny
Ivanans

Sit out Perez, Murray and Sunny a few games, depending on performance - even sit down Higgins for a game or two if he stagnates or shows signs of tiring.

Murray gives us a physical presence up front that can play a regular 4th- line shift without hurting the team. It is a component that has been missing from the Habs since Stevenson and Thornton."

Nostradamus has nothing on me - too bad it took Gainey a couple more months to figure it out, at least the call up Murray part anyway.

Next year, when I offer my opinions (prognostications), pay attention.

Anyone else have any "pat myself on the back" moments from the start of last season?
No offense or anything buddy, but if you want to go find old predictions that you made that came true... shouldn't they be ones that actually came true?

Cam Ward is not a Calder candidate, and barely played at all during the latter half of the regular season. He could be a Conn Smyther candidate, but you had Carolina just fighting for a playoff spot, so...

Ok, yes, the call up Murray / demote Dagenais was right, and a number of us were hoping for something similar. But your line-up is not close to the one we found success with.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Bulis/Zednik - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Bulis/Zednik - Plekanec - Perezhogin
Murray - Bonk - Begin

So I give this a resounding MEH.