View Single Post
Old
10-28-2012, 11:04 AM
tyratoku

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The first AC seems to be more of a proof of concept than a final polished game. Luckily for us, they took all the criticism and focused on making an amazing game (and series). A lot like Mass Effect.
I did play a bit of AC1 and I did not enjoy it at all. AC2 was terrible the first time I played it, for the first hour or so. I rented it for a few days, played it maybe an hour, and took it back to where I rented it from. A few months later, I rented it again on a whim and I never put it down. Very much improved over the first one. And as much as I dislike the idea of those mini expansions in Brotherhood and Revelations(which I own), I love that they have been testing systems that seem to pay off in the next one.

But I disagree on Mass Effect. Some things were changed for the better, yes, but the series completely lost its footing and the ideas that it was based on in the first. 99% of the RPG elements were dropped, and the overall games suffered because of it. Add in the fact that the story completely pooped on itself in ME2 and ME3, compared to the masterpiece that ME1 was, and I think Bioware really, truly screwed up on that.

And as for the sandbox of Assassins Creed, Prov, it's a wide open city that you can explore at any time and do whatever you want, but it's not like Oblivion or Fallout where there are hundreds of sidequests to do. At most times, you've got one main quest to do, and maybe 2-3 side quests, if that. It's wide open, but also linear at the same time.