View Single Post
Old
10-28-2012, 02:17 PM
lazerbullet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
In 2011-12, 4 of the top 60 NHL scorers were Russian.
In 1993-94 (perhaps the best season ever for Russians in the NHL), 6 of the top 60 scorers were Russian.

I'm not checking every year, but I don't think these numbers are out of the ordinary.

Given that perhaps 10% of the top NHL talent is Russian, I don't see a 9-5 advantage for Canadians over Russians born in the same time period on the top 70 list to be out of whack.

If there's any issue with the list, it's that the Original 6 period is more represented than any other time period. I think in 2008 and 2009 on this board, there was a sense that the Original 6 was the Golden Age of Hockey and that in turn, a disproportionate number of the best players played during that time period.
Top 60 scorers is fairly big number and has little to do with TOP 70 Players of All Time.

And those 4 Russians were #1, #5, #31 and #35 and that includes Datsyuk who missed 12 games.

I just find it strange that during Soviet time Russia and Canada were neck-to-neck. Despite the fact that usually Canada had the best player or two on their team (Wayne, Mario, Orr, Hull or whoever). Soviets had few stars who were pretty good and are nowadays recognized as such, but other players are totally dismissed. While Canada had other superstars who were miles better than any of those average Soviet players. And yet, games were as close as they could get. And no, no training camps can close the gap if difference in talent was so large as many think. So something is clearly out of sync here. My bet is that those other Soviet players were better than given credit.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote