View Single Post
Old
10-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
well, Varnakov coming from a VHL background doesn't know the product all that well, so he wants to see all the premiere candidates in battle environment, I can understand that.

Two early concerns: Varnakov seems to prefer guys with KHL/AHL experience even if it's minimal and they have 7-8 KHL/VHL games with a few shifts per, what kind of game shape will they be?

He really likes big d-man, both select teams (Subway series and 4-nation) are loaded with humongous d-men. To me it seems Sweden is the team to beat and last year's Bragin-team looked very slow vs. swedes.

Other than that, I think the strongest players are being called up and I see very little questionable names if any.
Since Ufa has full-scale big ice, I agree that speed and mobility are the most important factors for the D - lack of speed and ability to get to the puck quickly and break out of the zone is what really hurt Russia in Calgary against the Czechs, the Canadians and the Swedes. Forechecking is less effective on big ice, but speed and quickness is a much bigger advantage than size.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote