View Single Post
Old
10-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Serenade

vCash: 500
Documentary: The Last Gladiators

I had an opportunity to watch this documentary last night, I would like share some brief thoughts on it. From what I understood, the original undertaking of this film was to explore the role of the enforcer in the NHL, from the view point of several ex-enforcers. Through the course of the filming, the objective deviated and became focused on Chris "Knuckles" Nilian and his struggles.

Nilian has always been an interesting character to me and the narrative provided from him, really makes this human interest story enjoyable. He was really raw, honest and didn't hold anything back— considering his personality and career I don't think he knows how to. In addition to Nilian's story, the documentary does a good job touching on the unspoken "code" of a fighter referencing the personalities of that era.

I did not have an opportunity to watch games from that time, so I found the documentary provided me with good insight. Even when the code has been discussed a lot these last few years, by the end of this film, walked away with a better understanding of it.

It's playing in theaters in select cities right now. If you have chance to see this film I would really recommend doing so. If only for Nilian's amazing Boston accent.

It was directed by Academy Award winning documentary filmmaker Alex Gibney (a lot of his work is awesome).

Also, I miss hockey after watching this

tl;dr: Good hockey doc. watch Nilian... Boston accent...no hockey sad

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote