View Single Post
Old
10-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
It's early going, but so far the class of '12 has lived up to the buzz from the draft.

Gally is showing signs of being a guy who can dominate games in the OHL. For a #3 draft pick that's nothing less than you expect, but given how much time he's missed and how much development he still needs, his last few games are at the very least promising.

Collberg looks like he's gotten out of a terrible situation in Frolunda. I honestly think his role there had an enormous amount to do with him falling into the second round, so his transfer to the second-tier league where most other top NHL prospects his age (and older) are playing is potentially a huge help for him. The fact he's scored more there in two games than he did in his entire time in Frolunda is encouraging.

Thrower's the one guy who's struggling. No two ways around that.

Bozon is looking like a major steal. The guy can score, and looks to have the potential to be able to hold his own as a player in other aspects of the game too, though his path the NHL is as a finisher, I think. If he can't score 25+ he won't stick. However, given how hard goals are to come by these days, Bozon's one hell of an exciting prospect for a third round pick.

Vail I think has lived up to any possible expectation. To me the guy is a legitimate third line center prospect, at worst a PKing fourth line guy you can rely on. He looks like a guy with a fairly high shot at making the pros, given his draft position. Guy looks like a pro hockey player, reminds me a bit of Ryan White, not in how he plays but in the way he loves his job. He's one of the boys.

Hudon to me is a huge surprise and I think my biggest worry is that he rushes back from injury. High ankle sprains and concussions can both have lingering, serious effects. He's a real longshot in my books, but if he plays more than 80 games in the NHL it'll be in a top six, PP role IMO. I see a fire in him and focus on creating goals that is pretty hard to dismiss. A bit of Cammy there for sure. Amazed we were able to pick up players like Bozon, Vail and him in the later rounds of what was generally considered a weak draft.
I wouldn't write off Hudon as top six or bust. Team Canada has used him as a defensive forward and he's done well at it. He's a smart player that can adjust his game to fit the situation.