View Single Post
Old
10-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
That was my point, or at least my speculation. And as I was pointing out from that, it was the owners who ultimately were hurt by what they essentially forced on the players in the last CBA. And yes, they never predicted how it could work against them. But now wanting to make up for those losses by cutting into already negotiated contracts.

Players may be well aware when they're negotiating contracts that CBA rule changes could effect those contracts, but surely most players negotiated their contracts with the idea that what was signed in the end would be what the contract stood for. Now I dare ask, did the owners negotiate those contracts (which had dates extending beyond the last CBA's expiration) with the same faith that those contracts wouldn't be altered in a way to work negatively against what the player was agreeing to at the time? I'm beginning to suspect that could well have been a fair bit of unhonorable negotiation on the part of many contracts they made with players in the last year or two.
It doesn't really matter whether or not the owner's believed there would be a rollback come the next CBA. Players were paid fair market value given the circumstances (future rollbacks is a circumstance). Let me put it this way: If an owner was truly negotiating with the idea that a future rollback is imminent, his bottom line offer would be whatever % higher he thought salaries would be rolled back. If he believed roll backs were not going to happen (and using this knowledge to negotiate), then his bottom line offer would not take that % into account. In other words, theoretically, if the players maximized their negotiation power (and given the fact that they have agents this is not a stretch) they would have received a % higher in salary if the owners believed a roll back was coming vs. if they believed it wasn't coming.

Last edited by Renbarg: 10-28-2012 at 09:38 PM.