View Single Post
Old
10-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Actually why not give them blame, I'm sure the head Pro Scout would have had a say in the process. You'd be amused when you look up who last held the role of Director of Professional Scouting pre house cleaning.

In terms of Bournival, I can't find the direct link to the Timmins interview after the trade right now but here's some posts on how Timmins/scouts liked him in the original trade thread -

Whitesnake post alluding to Gauthier saying he didn't know much about Bournival: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...s#post28898480

The rest: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/se...rchid=18169581

It's not really a revelation that amateur level talent expertise usually go to the people who scout them as their full time jobs. Just like in drafting, I don't think finding amateur level gems in trades is something the GM should take credit for in finding. I mean more often than not, these prospect may have been someone high on their list that was taken before they had a chance to grab them. Heck if Greg Pateryn ends up a decent top 4 D no one will credit Gainey, and they rightfully so, for plucking him out of the Leafs prospect pool...it is highly likely that similar to Holland and Bournival, Timmins was behind that decision.
Thanks for the find. If I said "admitted", I wasn't BS'ing. I either heard it directly or read it, though I don't remember which one. Yet, again, we have to salute him for convincing the AVs GM that O'Byrne was worth more than a 7th rounder. But Bournival himself, that's solely Timmins work. Same with Pateryn.

And people, it does go both ways. We call Gainey a genius for his great Rivet for Gorges and 1st trade. Great. It is indeed a great trade. But then people have it wrong when they say that it's a great trade by Gainey 'cause the trade is Rivet for Gorges AND Pacioretty. No. The 1st is Gainey. Pacioretty is Timmins. 'Cause if we go for Patrick White, Gainey STILL traded for a 1st....but we would have just miss the boat. And guess what? Gainey would NOT have been blamed for not getting Pacioretty.....Timmins would. But Gainey would have done his job.