10-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
I agree with your point but there's a little flaw with your example

GMs actually have a big say on the 1st pick when drafting
They do? Are you talking about the big say like Gainey one draft told Timmins...."Are you sure"???? Is that what a big say looks like? GM's have no idea who the players are and that's even if they saw them play 1 or 2 times. And especially not in Montreal with a guy like Timmins when any GM know he can totally give that job to Trevor and not worry about it. Personnally, I have a harder time with his 1st rounders but seems to me, nobody in Habsland have any problems whatsoever. So no, they don't have a big say.

The word is that with Gainey, Timmins and Co were having a list from 1 to whatever and were going with that list, usually picking it in order of who was left. Under Gauthier, he prefered to see Timmins going with "groups" of prospects instead of 1 to 100 listing. But then when it was time to pick, they'd had to talk amongst themselves, implicate the GM all you want, the decision remained fully in the head scout hands and his scouts as well as the GM probably never saw 3/4 of the players picked. And you knew it with Gauthier when Mr. Do-it-all, was the one answering the questions after the draft about the prospects ,cause he couldn't envision seeing Timmins getting all the recognition, and Gauthier answers were always "Well the scouts tells us that Mr. this and Mr. That does this and that. I have rarely heard Gauthier talking about a prospects as if he had any knowledge of who he was. Hey maybe I'm wrong, and he did found a way to see some prospects play....like I said, 1 or 2 times, maybe the possible 1st rounders....but that doesn't make him a decision maker as much as the guys who has seen those prospects 10 to 20 times.