View Single Post
Old
10-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
Oscar Lindberg & Jesper Fasth have been selected to play for the Swedish national team in Karjala Cup, against Finland, Russia & Czech republic, november 7-10, in Helsinki.
Yeah, and as said, Hagelin too.

Full roster for Sweden and schedule can be found at:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15687837.ab

Sweden hasn't picked any established/veteran NHLers. But there's five younger pro's on the roster.

I'll be travelling and won't see any of the games, but if anyone is hungry for hockey they should look for streams 7-10th November. I've not seen all the rosters, but due to the lockout teams will be very strong (although I think the biggest names will be left at hom). It will be a great test for Oscar Lindberg and Jesper Fasth. And as also has been reported previously by BBK and me, Carl Hagelin is playing tremendous hockey in the 2nd tier league and I can't help to wonder if the kid has taking another big step in his development over the summer, because he has so far been heads and shoulders above someone like Anze Kopitar or Gabriel Landeskog or Patrick Berglund (at the same time, its perfectly possible that a really fast player like him just is a better fit at a lower level then the bigger guys who really are targeted by the other team, but still...). He has basically been able to use his speed with the puck to his advantage as he has been able to do that in the NHL without the puck. He is constantly feetching pucks in the corners and taking it to the net or skating the puck up ice and what not.

Having followed these tournaments and prospects in them for atleast 15 years, more often than not its a great indicator of how close a player really is. Especially when you look at the best players that has come from behind somewhat and established themselves in the NHL. Guys like Kim Johnson, Henrik Zetterberg and Valteri Filpulla are examples of that, like they were very strong in their national leagues, but it was in these tournaments they really stood out. Players that like become alot better by playing with better players. It will be very interesting to see Fasth shoulder to shoulder to Carl Hagelin too, for example. You can possibly not get a better indicator than that of were that kid is.

The games will be very interesting.

Last edited by Ola: 10-29-2012 at 06:52 AM.