Thread: STU Tommies
View Single Post
Old
10-29-2012, 12:37 PM
SnipeShow91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Easier said than done! This entire league has elevated itself since you played with STU
You play UNB,Moncton,Acadia and those are top 5 teams in the country, than the rest of the pack is also very,very competitive. Outside of STU, there are no weak teams, no gimme games, unlike the OUA. That's not meant to be a dig, because it has also improved, but it's reality. They are giving up a ton of shots every night. Would a trap style work? I don't think that you will have any better results, I don't think that they have the skill to counter attack, but they can't be giving up 50 shots a game.
Ryan knows his systems well, it's not a coaching problem! It's recruiting and if he's handcuffed, than it's a big problem!
I'd be looking at the ECHL, maybe they can attract one or two players under 21 years of age, who have had a change in heart and are looking to go the college way, instead of semi-pro.
There are no "gimmie" games in the OUA, look at the standings thus far. Log jam. And I understand the talent in the AUS, its my job to know who is where and who is doing well. We pushed the eventual national champs last year in their barn to a 3-2 McGill win with 10 forwards and 4 defense. But still, there are ways to slow better teams down and keep the shots to the outside for your goalie and chip pucks in the NZ and wait for your opportunity to counter attack. Play discipined hockey and try to win the special teams battle. Groenheyde is a talented enough goalie to save the shots that he can see, everyone can at this level. Like Foyle said, it's a matter of buying into the system. If you are 0-6, obviously your not.

And again with the budget! If you put a lot of money into a new rink, staff a gameday team, gas prices going up for those 4 hour bus trips and hotel stays in Halifax and buy a new set of sweet jerseys, obviously, you are going to have less money going into a new season. You don't lose hockey games with economics. Again, rebuilding team. Best way to recruit, is to win. That's how UNB does it.