10-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I wish they could rollback the TV deal.

This is interesting on a couple of fronts. The NHL may be getting some money this year, but they are trading years after all. They will give NBC a free year in the future, so that shouldn't get glossed over.

Secondly, why would NBC agree to pay them for a year that is lost? It doesn't make much business sense for NBC to do it. Sure, they get that year back in ten years, but they have to be pretty certain the value in ten years in terms of advertising will be greater than what they're anticipating now. One presumes that it's always better to get the money upfront. NBC is going against that grain.

Also, one comment from an AdWeek entry:
At the tail end of Friday’s call, NBC briefly addressed the impact the National Hockey League lockout is having on its NBC Sports Network operations. “I can tell you we’re pretty disappointed with regard to the lockout,” (Comcast chairman and CEO Brian) Roberts said. “I don’t think we should say a heck of a lot more. I think that we’re just hopeful that the ownership and the players can get together and get on with the season.”

Comcast owns the NHL franchise Philadelphia Flyers.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote