View Single Post
Old
10-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
No, it seems you didnt understand the idea of my post.

My point is, it only logically makes sense that in this type of industry, (hockey leagues), revenues tend to dictate the salary. Whether or not proportions are the same from league to league

The idea is that in 2 hockey leagues, if ones revenues are 3x that of another league, yes, costs are higher, and so, player salaries are higher.

My argument has absolutely nothing to do with revenues vs profits, nor should it, as thats not my line of thinking.

Players in the NHL should be paid higher than other hockey leagues, BUT, the owners have the right and IMO, deserve to choose how much they want to pay those players out of HRR, whether it be 40% or 60%.
I absolutely get what you say, and I agree. I think we all agree that the players should be well-paid. But how well paid? Does it irk me that these guys are millionaires in their mid-20's? Not really. That's the nature of pro-sports. But does it irk me that $2.25 million/year on average is not good enough? Especially when KHL pays far less, and television ratings are terrible? A bit. I joked in another thread that an average episode of Honey Boo Boo drew in as much as the Stanley Cup Finals last year....I wasn't really joking. (Boo Boo average 2.8m, 2012 SCF average 2.9)

In light of the salaries offered in other leagues, and how hockey is sort of the black sheep of the North American sports family...you might want to come down to earth a little and reassess your market worth a bit.

I mean Justin Bieber makes monster dollars. I'm not a fan at all...but I get that he's some kind of worldwide phenomena and commands ridiculous entertainment dollars,and he's high in demand and popularity. Thus he makes what he makes. NHL hockey...slowing getting traction, but the players are no Biebers, they're hardly Honey Boo Boos. $2.25m is fine.