View Single Post
Old
05-16-2006, 04:54 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Gainey won't find a center in the system that'll enable the Habs to compete with the elite teams. If he makes a trade, it'll probably involve that position.
What type of center do you need to compete with the elites? Guys like Horcoff, Stoll, Drury or Pahlsson? Or do you need Marleau, Thorton, Spezza and Sakic to win? I think you know where I'm going with this.

This year has tought many lessons for those who care to learn about their mistakes. 4 completes lines will own a team with elite players but lacking quality depth.

You can go the Buffalo way or the SJ way. Personnaly I would go the Edmonton way, build with kids than get 1 or 2 guys at the right time to put them over the top.

That being said, I'll just add that Plekanec has done a good job against the Staal line and I saw him a few shifts shutting Crosby line in the IIHF. By no means does this infer anything besides that Plek has good shut down abilities but he did show he can do it against the "elite" ( did an amazing job with Jagr this year).

I know a shutdown center is probably not what you were thinking of but I also think you are putting way too much stock on "elite" teams vs. team depth. So we might not have any elite center coming up but if we get to a point where we have 4 solid centers who could play against the elite we will be a hard team to play against.