View Single Post
Old
10-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Justin St Pierre

vCash: 500
Interesting. I think it just shows how individualized the college experience is. I have a hard time imagining many people in that 18-22 age range (well, it was a state school, so 18-26 was more like it; ironically I got my bachelor's at 20 and master's at 21...I was surprised they let me graduate without an entire window covered in parking decals ) would have really gotten much out of what I did.

The social experience is important, too, because nothing in life is isolated. Having a college experience can parlay into academic success; I think the confidence of new friendships and the feeling of belonging, at that age, really helps people who did not succeed in high school become something more in college. Exam scores don't sort you into the world (I wish they did). For me, socialization was talking to all the middle-aged students getting second degrees. By that time, my hair was thinning, I drove a Honda, and Friday nights were for reading non-fiction or briefing legal cases, so those in their early 40s were definitely my kind of people!

I guess that was a long-winded way of coming back to what I had said earlier, that I wouldn't tell people if a state (and I guess even then you have to distinguish; a small commuter school like I went to and UMass aren't the same thing by any means) or a private school (and there, too, you'd have to distinguish) was a better value just because it was for me.

Justin St Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote