Thread: Value of: Zach bogosian
View Single Post
Old
10-29-2012, 11:05 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
The trade thread is tough because inevitably home town fans tend to overvalue their assets.

Maybe I am being a homer as well but Bogosian did win our Player elimination game this spring on our board (top valued asset by our posters). I realize Bogosian had consistency issues during his days in Atlanta but as a Jets season ticket holder I was not privy to that phase. what I did see this past year was our #1 shut down defender (IMHO) who often played with a bottom pairing asset like Stuie due to 79 lost man games to our top 4 D. coach Noel prefers to allocate his D groups where his # 1 unit is the offensive group. Toby and Buff were used whenever possible with O zone starts and with the top line, and the #2 unit Bogosian (stuart or Hainsey) were the shut down group that got the tough minutes and the D zone starts. I thought Zach was up for the challenge last year, Huddy did a great job mentoring and coaching and helped simplify Bogo's game and with that came increased confidence, increased minutes, and better results.

So while Bogosian played our tough minutes how did he do point production wise you ask? He had 30 points in 65 games which was good for top 30 in PPG average for defensman and the same as Subban, Doughty, and Seabrook. Zach did this while playing off the 2nd PP unit as well (behind Buff and Toby). A telling stat is that Bogo had 1.12 5v5 Pts/60 minutes which is very respectable for second pairing. translation to that stat is strip out the PP scoring and he was the 12th leading scoring defensman in the league.

Also important to note that at 21 he is a pup and his numbers line up favorably for his age with how Weber or Pronger were when they were 21 (not saying he'll hit that level but he is tracking along similar lines). Throw in that he is 6'3" 220 pounds, very physical, a great skater, and our most fit player and what's not to like?

The comparison style wise I think fits best is the one Ron McLean from Hockey night in Canada had which was a big Chris Chelios and I think that is spot on. they both have that effortless skate all day style.

Currently he sits in a pocket slightly below his high profile classmates (Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson) who are all off to pretty amazing starts for their age. I don't want to overrate him at this point but nor do I want to sell him short. I am not in favor of trading Bogosian, I am more than happy watching him come into his prime in a jets uniform and hopefully stay put until he is old and retires.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote