Thread: Avs fans
View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Drizzt1

vCash: 500
Agree mate. You know what the strange thing is though. I remember the days Joel Quenneville stated consistently we were going to be an up tempo, on your toes type of attacking team that people wanted to watch. Seriously, in 2006 / 2007 I thought we had the defensive fire power, plus the special teams to make that happen. We had Clark, Leopold, Liles, Brisebois & Cumiskey as part of our D-core at the time, yet we still ended up having to dump and chase.

I then remember vividly the next season, Granato came in, claiming the again up tempo, on your toes, energetic hockey, and I thought, well, Ruslan Salei was brought in, Footer was brought back to add that mean streak, here we go, and there were glimpses of what we needed. We ended up coming 6th or so in the conference I believe.

But it all went to crud, and the dump and chase returned, when our team started getting out skilled, out muscled, and out enthused most nights.

Granato was fired, and up came Joe Sacco, a losing coach in the minors, who also preached that up tempo style, and wow, for 75% of the season, we got that. I honestly thought then and there, our fortunes had turned around, and the old, fight in the trenches Avs had returned......but no.

We AGAIN started dumping and chasing. We again had quality players retiring. We again started bringing in players like Hunwick & Kobasew all the while reducing salary.

Well, that's where it leaves us today. A hell of a lot of potential, not much proven quality (that is still consistent). Guys like Hejduk, Hejda, Kobasew, Hunwick are regressing, and our rookies don't have that go to guy they desperately need.

This, in my opinion is why young fans would go somewhere to look for when it comes to a team to support. We have become extremely mediocre on the ice, and I believe we are as bad as we have ever been (including the Quebec days) off the ice. I honestly think we have ownership, PR and management that don't care about one squat about fans / goodwill.

There is no connection between the club and fans.

That being said, there is a die hard element, that will stick solid no matter, including you guys and I. I personally believe we are there despite where we are, not because of it, because those winning days were almost 1/2 a decade ago.

We'll be back. My opinion is that when ownership, the players & management show some pride, buy in & investment, fans will return.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote