View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 03:13 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
We know what we could get. I don't get why fans always post about this. If we trade Hall, Nuge, Yak, Eberle we are going to get value back. (Imo OEL type player for any of them) although some of the other fans may disagree and thats HF. G Night.
The problem there is that there is no such thing as value in a vacuum. In order to entice a team to give up a player (such as Phoenix with OEL), you need to be meeting their needs.

OEL really broke out last year and was a huge part of their deep playoff run. There isn't a winger in the league whose price tag, age, and impact could tempt Phoenix. Maybe Ovechkin and Kovalchuk for age and impact, but, again Phoenix is not in a position to spend like that. So the only one of the Oilers' "big four" who would start the conversation is RNH. Still, Larsson is more proven and I, personally, wouldn't make that deal if I were Phoenix's management, even though it's an interesting idea.

Who else around the league is a similarly young #1 defenseman like Larsson? Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Doughty? All no. Guys in the next tier like McDonagh, Myers, Hedman, Bogosian, Subban, Adam Larsson, etc. are more likely targets. Find a team who can give up a guy like that without ruining their defensive lineup (tough), and also needs firepower up front and you have the beginnings of a deal. Other than that, you'll have to expand your search to guys in their later 20's. That doesn't mean the big 4 aren't worth that much, but, rather, it means that every team has unique needs, and winger-for-defenseman trades are an awkward start.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote