View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 03:42 AM
Steve55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
This is from a poster on a Mets board (a Rangers fan who's brother has worked across the street from the Barclay's Center for years) :

The first thing I ever said, in going to my brother's building across the street from the arena -- years before they even contemplated the Barclays Center?

"Your building has a LIRR hub downstairs? That must be very convenient for colleagues from L.I."

This has always been a pretty obvious location for the Isles. No matter how many were in flat-out denial about it coming to fruition.
I wish them luck there. Not TOO much, but enough to make them attractive to legitimate players. It can only make the Rangers want to step up in their own attempts.
However, it seemed like the Isles were looking at other local options up to August for sure.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.3940131

Published: August 30, 2012 8:32 PM
By STEVE ZIPAY steve.zipay@newsday.com

Yormark said Barclays executives "remain very interested" in a possible relocation of the Islanders to Brooklyn in 2015 if no deal is reached to remain in Nassau. "Discussions are continuing, although the goal at this point is to work with what we have on our schedule," he said...

Meanwhile, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said a potential move by the Islanders to Atlantic Avenue remains "an intriguing possibility. But there's a lot of road between here and there."

Sound like another viable local options besides Brooklyn were available (likely Queens) at the time. Nassau was no longer an option after Wang showed no interest in the latest RFQ/RFP for the Nassau Hub.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/brookl...HrMoEaoxs26ZgM

Posted: 6:52 PM, September 26, 2012

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov says he won't consider buying the Islanders or another NHL team and moving them to Brooklyn until he first makes good on a promise to deliver the borough an NBA championship by 2015.

"First I need to have a championship, so after this I can think — but not before," Prokhorov told the Post following Friday’s ceremonial ribbon-cutting of the new Barclays Center.

The 6-foot seven-inch Russian billionaire then joked, "I used to play hockey when I was a schoolboy, but I was too tall."

Barclays Center officials are trying to convince the Islanders to relocate to Brooklyn when its current lease deal with Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.

When asked if it’s important to have a second pro team playing in Barclays Center with the Nets, Prokhorov said he only has 45 percent interest in the arena and that arena developer Bruce Ratner "knows best."

"If [Ratner] wants to, it’s great, but it is better for him to make the decision," Prokhorov said.

Although Barclays Center holds 18,200 for basketball, it can only hold 14,500 for hockey.

And because of sight restrictions, a U-shaped seating configuration will be implemented during hockey contests at the arena with sections behind one of the two goals closed off.

It seems that Brooklyn became the only local option sometime after late August.

Last edited by Steve55: 10-30-2012 at 03:48 AM.