View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 08:09 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Given the way that Schultz, Marincin and Klefbom have played this year I would suspect that the Oilers are not in the market for a number 1 dman. This is not so much because any of these kids would be that guy but more so because the defense looks like it has the potential to be solid without giving up the price it would take to get any of the guys in this thread.
I get what you're saying, and I think most people agree that Edmonton does have good depth for their blueline longterm, and a couple of guys who look like they could potentially be solid #2 or #3 guys. But getting a true franchise D could go a long way.

Look at recent SC winners. They had:
-Doughty
-Chara
-Keith
-Gonchar (+ young Letang)
-Lidstrom
-Pronger/Niedermayer

Pittsburgh is the only team that has won the Cup recently without a true franchise D, and Gonchar is only slightly below that level. I also think it would be a stretch for any of Schultz, Klefbom, or Marincin to become as good as Gonchar. So unless one of them really surprises and becomes much better than expected, I don't think the Edm blueline looks like it'll be good enough to win a SC with.

Wingers simply aren't as important, and you have three of them (franchise wingers that is). If there was a trade to bring in a franchise D to Edmonton for a guy like Yakupov, I think it would make your team MUCH better. Because the offence core would still be great, with RNH + two franchise wingers, and adding a franchise guy to the blueline can make it one of the top bluelines in the league down the line as opposed to just mediocre.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote