View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I see no downside to holding out, playing the kids for some key development time and adding the OA when the right opportunity presents itself. It'd be foolish to panic and jump on the first run-of-the-mill OA you can find and burn another card at this point - which is what he did just before the season if you ask me.

I think TO is intent on getting AC some time with "men" this year, but that doesn't preclude him being re-assigned here after Christmas, just like with D'Amigo. And I do like the Archibald/Ross suggestion for sure. Cardwell would be harder to pry out of Ottawa.

Having said that, this will be a pricey year as the deadline draws near. Way more buyers than sellers given how many teams feel they can compete.
I love the idea of giving the kids more playing time for any number of reasons.
But one bonus of doing this is the players increase they value to the Rangers and to any other team that Spott wants to acquire a bigtime player from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Ward, dont get me wrong I loved Charlie D when he was here. But at this point I think if we dont get a top end minute eater like a Sefton then we really should just stick with playing the young guys and develop them. I think it would be in our best interest to give the kids minutes if it means bringing in a Dodero type of guy that is serviceable but wouldnt have the same impact.

As for AC, we have to plan on him not coming back. If he does....great, then cut one of the OA loose. Who would've thought we'd get a 7th back for Hanes.
The only reason I said Charlie D is that it wouldn't break the bank for prospects or picks.
I would love to see a full cupboard of picks. With Spott getting the Rangers to a Western C. Final two out of the last three years with minimum high draft picks playing
imagine what he could do with a lot of top 5 round picks playing??
Otherwise IMHO the Rangers will always just be on the cusp but never quite good enough. Keep the picks and play them, eventually you can
trade some for the "go for it" without emptying the prospects and draft cupboard!

* I firmly believe that to "go for it" you have to prepare a cpl years in advance to make sure you have some bullets to put into the chamber.
Spott never seemed to agree with me though!

I also believe if you go back and look at other OHL Champs the best moves made at the trade deadline were for depth players and not a Taveres type of star.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 10-30-2012 at 10:22 AM.