View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Someone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I get what you're saying, and I think most people agree that Edmonton does have good depth for their blueline longterm, and a couple of guys who look like they could potentially be solid #2 or #3 guys. But getting a true franchise D could go a long way.

Look at recent SC winners. They had:
-Doughty
-Chara
-Keith
-Gonchar (+ young Letang)
-Lidstrom
-Pronger/Niedermayer

Pittsburgh is the only team that has won the Cup recently without a true franchise D, and Gonchar is only slightly below that level. I also think it would be a stretch for any of Schultz, Klefbom, or Marincin to become as good as Gonchar. So unless one of them really surprises and becomes much better than expected, I don't think the Edm blueline looks like it'll be good enough to win a SC with.

Wingers simply aren't as important, and you have three of them (franchise wingers that is). If there was a trade to bring in a franchise D to Edmonton for a guy like Yakupov, I think it would make your team MUCH better. Because the offence core would still be great, with RNH + two franchise wingers, and adding a franchise guy to the blueline can make it one of the top bluelines in the league down the line as opposed to just mediocre.
I think that's exactly what will happen, but not until we have a clearer picture of things. Better to keep all of our wingers than trade Yakupov and become the best of the bunch while Eberle and Hall spend 40 games a season in the IR or not meet expectations. By the time we're ready to compete one of these big name young Dmen might be a pending FA and pricing themselves off their current team, or we could get someone through other means.

Basically, we're still too far away from competing to make a panic move that we could regret down the road.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote