View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 01:43 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The only part of the 57% number that affects individual players relates to their escrow. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Frankly, they should stop calling them contracts, since most of you folks seem to like the idea that owners can just break them whenever they want.

Yes, the expiration of the CBA governs this, I understand. But I completely understand the players' frustration here. If an owner offers you a 7 year deal with 2 years left on the CBA, you're not thinking that they could pull the rug out from under you at CBA expiration. Yes, he should have an agent to warn him that COULD happen, but lets face it. Even with an agent you won't assume that would happen.
The bolded is a contradiction.

If you understand that the CBA allows for what the owners are doing. You can't attack others that understand that as well by accusing them of liking that contracts can be broken. Because the players contracts are not being broken.

As for Jack Johnson, Why should I feel bad for someone who agreed to a multi-year, multimillion dollar contract and apparently did so without understanding the rules governing it?

I know this is crazy talk but players that signed deals 2+ years out from the CBA expiring could have chosen to have their contracts expire with the CBA. Then they wouldn't have to worry about the new CBAs impact on their contracts. But of course most didn't do that and chose to take the gamble that their deals wouldn't be impact by a new CBA. The players that signed this past summer knew full well that they could take a hit on their deals with a new CBA. In fact it lead to a slight salary escalation that the players got because the owners figured they could get some of the money back in the next CBA.

The players have guaranteed contracts that they are paid regardless of performance, injury, etc. There is only one thing that can impact their deals and thats the terms of a new CBA. Most players complaining about it are either ill-informed or being disingenuous.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote