View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Yeah, this isn't true for starters. At the time of that deal, Burns was four years younger than Gaborik is now, had more positional value (future #1 D vs #1 winger), and even with a concussion history had less wear and tear than Gabby. Also, the Sharks got to name their price and eat up UFA years, while whoever gets Gaborik will have to deal with his contract, which, while not a gross overpayment, doesn't fit into most salary structures, including Vancouver's.
Gaborik was 3rd in NHL goals. I just can't see going for any less.

And the deal is based on Gaborik signing agreeing to an extension.

Quote:
As for your actual proposal, the Burns deal featured the Sharks trading from a position of significant strength (forward) to fill holes on defense. The Canucks have no such wealth anywhere in their organization, much less at forward, so Kassian and Hansen are significantly more valuable here.
True. I was thinking guys like Jensen/Gaunce can offset the loss of Kassian and Hansen.

Quote:
Edit- if Gabby is available, I'd look to Phoenix, who might still need to replace Whitney's offense. Lord knows Sather and Maloney aren't strangers.
Phoenix probably can't afford to pay Gabby. Not sure what they would offer either. I would be looking at dealing something based around Yandle+ or a package of Samuelsson/1st/Boedker.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote