View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 02:03 PM
DaveMatthew

vCash: 500
I think it's fairly simple as to why public opinion is against the players. They, quite frankly, come off as out of touch with reality.

Yes, it's not their fault that the Phoenix Coyotes are on life support, and it's not their fault that Ed Snider offered Shea Weber a ridiculous offer sheet, but at the end of the day, they are the employees. As ****** as it may seem, and as unfair as it may seem, employees often pay the price for management's mistakes.
When a brokerage firm makes a bad investment, they may have to lay off employees to stay afloat. Is it fair? No. Did the laid off employees contribute to the situation? Probably not. But **** happens, and that's they way our economy works.

Only difference? NHLers are worried about going from an average salary of 2.1 million to 1.6 million, while the secretary from the brokerage firm may be going from $40 000 to $0.

That doesn't exactly resonate with fans.

Hell, even when you look at other entertainment industries, NHLers are extremely well off. Take the film industry. I'd say the majority of people would agree that blockbuster actors are overpaid. But they don't get close to 50% of revenues.

Not only that, but I routinely hear players say "well, the reason fans come to games is because of us, so we should get 57 or whatever percent of revenues". But this isn't completely true. One of the reasons that fans come to games is to watch those specific players play, sure, but there are a bevy of other reasons. Fans go because it's a spectacle that the owners put on, because they can socialize with their friends in an environment facilitated by the owners, they can eat at restaurants in the venue, etc. It's an entire entertainment experience, and the players are a part of it, but not the only part.

At the end of the day, the players are responsible for playing. The owners are responsible for making sure that there's a place for the game to take place, that the tickets are sold, that the fans have a good time, that everyone is kept safe, etc.

So why should the players get 57%? They sure as hell don't do 57% of the work.