View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 02:30 PM
BM67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Where is the evidence that Mikita was elite defensively coming from anyway? Ultimate Hockey?

He put up his numbers playing for a run-and-gun team and couldn't contain Beliveau in the playoffs.

I'm sure he was strong defensively, but he I don't think he belongs in the conversation for best ever.
His defense was more of the keep them in there own end type, rather than the stop them in our end type. He is an all-time great face-off guy as well.

From Stan Mikita's book I Play To Win:

Quote:
The Scooter Line with Mohnsie was just as successful as it had been with Ab. We started playing together part way through the 1964-65 season and the next four seasons each of us scored twenty or more goals every year. You can go up and down the league and you won't find a line that did that four years in a row. We were able to do it because we worked together perfectly and because we forced the play. We weren't a checking line just trying to keep the opposition from scoring, but a forcing line. We made the plays and let the opposition worry about checking us; we kept them busy so they couldn't score.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote