View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
No, but a guy like John Carlson might be. He's the guy I'd target.
I love Carlson. But I still don't see the urgency. Nor do I think that either team would be inclined to look at such a deal right now.

Quote:
Keith Yandle had a 1.33 ppg in the Q to his name and a .5 ppg season in the AHL by the time he was 19, despite being a 4th round pick.
Yandle was 20 in his rookie year in the AHL. At 21 he had 15 points in 30 games in the AHL. Schultz has 12 points in 7 games. Can I conclude that Schultz will be far better than Yandle?
Quote:
Kris Letang was at .7 ppg in the AHL by the time he was 20, and he was a 3rd round pick.
Kris Letang played 10 games in total in the AHL. Martin Marincin has 4 points in 7 gams so far as a twenty year old. He is playing top pairng and has been great in his own zone. Does this mean he will be as good as Letang?

Quote:
Duncan Keith was playing elite defense and at a .35 ppg in the AHL at age 19 despite being picked int he very late 2nd round.
Keith's first year in the AHL was when he was 20. At the same age as Schutz he had 9 goals and 26 points in 79 games. Again, does this mean that Schultz will be much better than Keith?

Quote:

You know what the problem is? You're comparing a guy chosen in the mid-first round with guys all chosen at 55 or later. Those guys shouldn't be expected to progress as quickly as Klefbom, but all 3 had breakout seasons directly after being drafted. So yeah, you can definitely get a handle on what kind of NHL player a guy is going to be if he's putting up elite numbers like that at age 19.
This does not help your case. The fact that Klefbom was drafted higher than h=these guys does not mean that he will not be as good. The point I made still stands. You do not know how good any of these kids will be and nor do I. All we know is that right now all of Klefbom, Schultz and Marincin are playing extremly well.

Quote:
My question is to keeping together your young elite forwards while having enough depth to have a Cup-winning team. Chicago won it while Kane and Toews were still on their ELCs. Anaheim won it while Getzlaf and Perry were still on their ELCs. Do you honestly think that the Oilers can win it while RNH/Yakupov are on their ELCs? Because if not, considering the contract Eberle got, you're going to have to be very careful with your financials.
Take a look at why Chicago could not keep their team together. It had much more to do with overpaying the support guys, going $4M over the cap in their cup run and doing so in a year when the cap was flat.

The Oilers on the other hand have carefully mangaged their contracts. They should have little problem keeping this group together going forward and still having money to fill in their holes.

Last edited by Fourier: 10-30-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote