View Single Post
Old
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams 8/10

I saw this come up on Steam after being Greenlit. It looked like a lot of fun so I decided to buy it. It didn't disappoint. The artwork and music in this game was definitely the most appealing part for me. You can switch sisters at any time and have calm music in a nightmarish world or rock music in a calm world. That part kind of confused me but whatever, I didn't think about it much after the first minute. The music and art work switches really nicely too.

The gameplay is solid and has some fun jumping features. One sister can do a twirl in a double jump fashion and use it to drop to the ground slower. The other can launch herself in any direction as a fireball. You can only use one special jump per jump unless you kill an enemy in the jump which adds for some fun strategy to get from point A to point B. I also like how it wasn't linear which is incredibly rare for a platformer. There were a ton of paths you could take and a lot of hidden areas that will act as shortcuts.

My main complaint about this game was to unlock the boss stages, you had to have a certain amount of stars. 2 of a possible 5 stars per stage are for how many times you die and the other 3 is for how many gems you collect. There are a lot of gems as well as a lot of hidden areas and forks in the road so aside from the first couple of levels, I never got all 3 stars possible for gems. There are only 3 boss stages and I had to replay some levels just to unlock the last two. Oddly enough, the second boss was the only one I thought was easy. The first was tough mainly due to tough controls and the last was just a pain to avoid all the attacks.

Certainly a really fun platformer. There wasn't any puzzles if that's what you're looking for. It will definitely test your platforming skills.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote