View Single Post
10-31-2012, 02:45 AM
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
I think Orr probably deserved the Hart in '74, as Espo's overall game had really gone downhill at that point. Still a tremendous season by Espo, esp. at that age. The '69 season is interesting, given that Espo basically doubled Orr's point total and had ~75% higher PPG that season. What changed after that which allowed Orr to score so many more points, without it changing Espo's production more substantially?

People do seem to give a lot of extra credit for lost production to players affected by injuries. I think in many, if not most cases, the player could have played a slightly less intense game, probably had a bit lower peak and bit longer career, but not sure how much more career value (if any) they would have added by doing so. Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, but it does a disservice to those players that properly paced themselves when possible to avoid excessive injury, to project much longer careers at the same level for players who played a more aggressive style which often resulted in injury.
I think you are absolutely on to something here. Sometimes, some of us (not always and not everybody) give players props from physical/aggressive playing style but tend to ignore the fact that it is the style that shortened their career. Could Forsberg have had longer career with less reckless play? I don't know but it is worth of thinking. Would we consider Forsberg's peak as good as now, if he would have toned his physical play down? I doubt it.

Where goes the line? Is it better for player's legacy to go "full throttle" despite the higher chance of injury? At this line of thinking probably yes. I have a strong feeling that Lindros could have had a much longer career with more subtle playing style. But i feel that he would not be touted as high as he is now if he would have sacrificed he's aggressive style to longer career.

As a fan point of view, it is probably better to give it all you got for as long as you can. Good example being Frosberg/Lindros. Not sure how much more they would have enjoyed a longer career tough.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote