View Single Post
Old
10-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
None of that really has anything to do with the discussion. The argument was which players would you rather build around, and Murray is a fairly easy pick right now as a better option than Klefbom. Murray projects to be the better defenseman. Trying to argue that Klefbom, being a year older, might be the better of the two right now(which is debatable) doesn't really apply.
First off Klefbom is 2 months older than Murray so as far as development is concerned they are in the same year. The only thing that distinquishes them agewise is an artificial cutoff date set for the NHL draft. As such I think the fact that Klefbom did outplay Murray in a tournament of their peers is relevent to the discussion if your claim is that Murray is better. Similarly, the fact that Klefbom was now playing top pairing in the SEL is also a factor.

Projecting defensemen is not an exact science by any stretch. It seems to me that the jury should still be out on which of these two turns out better. You may feel the odds favour Murray, and that is fine. But I don't see a big gap between the two.

People here are also ignoring comments that have come out of the local Edmonton media suggesting that the Oilers felt close to the draft that Schultz was leaning towards them. It is also perhaps reasonable to assume that had they chosen Murray that this could have impacted that decision. Personally, I don't think it would, but it does seem clear that the Oilers went into the last draft not only high on some of their own picks but also liking their chances to sign Schultz.

Last edited by Fourier: 10-31-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote