Thread: Elias
View Single Post
Old
05-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Elias is definitely the #1 choice on the UFA market at forward. That means his offers will be in the $6M-$8M range. Lower end if he decides to stay in NJ, higher end if the bidding gets intense.

Therefore, if we went after Elias, it's our last, our only meaningful UFA signing for the next 4-5 years, probably. The only big salary player we can add under the cap. Not saying Elias isn't worth it, since he definitely is one of the best forwards in the game. But he's also a little bit older than the 27 club that might start showing up as UFAs next year, and he does have that nagging question mark about his health now. Not that I'd complain if Elias became a Hab or anything. But I guess if I was going to commit all of my cap room to one player for the next half decade, I might rather wait for a "more perfect" choice to come along. Elias is almost perfect. But it'd be at least slightly risky.

But I guess we'd better wait and see where the salary cap ends up first, because if it doesn't go over $43M, then we simply won't have the room to fit Elias at all, barring other moves.

All in all, Zednik/Aebischer-for-Lang and then chasing Jamie Langenbrunner is still my favourite "more realistic" summer plan.