View Single Post
Old
10-31-2012, 12:25 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
Erne is a Burke-type player. Big american power forward/grinder
I think the point others are making is that Burke doesn't really have a "type." He likes to TALK about truculence, but if you look at his actual moves they don't really reflect that. As others mentioned he worked very hard to acquire the Sedins, who are just about the least "truculent" players in the league. The teams he has built in Toronto is easily one of the softest teams in the league, relying on skill and speed, not size and toughness. His biggest acquisition with the Leafs has been Kessel, one of the softest players in the league, and his other big acquisitions include guys like Gardiner, Lupul, MacArthur, Connolly, Franson, Bozak, JVR, Liles, etc. Some of those guys are decently tough/physical, but all are closer to finesse players than bruisers. With the two high draft picks he's had with the Leafs, he selected Rielly and Kadri, both far from power players. He does go after bruisers too (guys like Phaneuf, Biggs, Komi, Brown), but if anything I'd say he's emphasized skill more than physicality in the moves he's made in Toronto. If Leafs scouts think Drouin is the BPA when it comes to our pick in 2013, I'm sure Burke would be happy to select him, even if he isn't a power forward.