Thread: Proposal: Tor-Col
View Single Post
Old
10-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Mowerman

vCash: 500
Value is probably right, but I don't see either side going through with this trade (as a fan of both teams).

Duchene may have had a setback, but he's clearly a highly valuable, highly skilled future number one centre. He's a special asset and he isn't really the kind of piece you trade after producing in the manner he has after one bad season. Colorado would need a significant overpayment in order to part with Duchene. I really doubt Colorado is legitimately looking to trade any of their centres, and if they were why would they move Duchene rather than, say, Stastny?

It's really a lateral move for Toronto. They gain their number one centre, but at the cost of their number one d. Toronto has nothing in the system to replace a Phaneuf. They have Gardiner, they have Rielly, they have lots of great prospects on the blue line. But they don't have anyone who is likely going to step up soon to fill in for Phaneuf soon, hell even in the far off future. That first is a lottery pick without Phaneuf. Patch one hole, make one just as big in the process. And lose significant assets doing so.

Personally I'd still probably do it, only because just the thought of Duchene as a Leaf makes me very happy.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote