View Single Post
Old
10-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Actually, when you ask many of their opinion of which player was greater, such factors as longevity, durability and the length of time at which they played at a minimum of a certain standard of excellence is often cited as a reason for their opinion.

I agree that there is no set criteria, but a couple things to note:

- Many subscribe, in one form or another, to the notion of career value (often CV above replacement level), which would incorporate the factors listed above.

- From the player's perspective, I think it's fair to assume that one their highest priorities is to maximum career earnings. In order to do so, having a long career and playing at a high level for a long time would seem essential.

I understand using peak/prime ability/value as part, even the primary/sole basis of ranking players. However, it's not as if upon entering the NHL a memo is handed out which states "your legacy will be evaluated and determined based on your best (e.g.) 5-10 seasons, anything beyond that is irrelevant." Players are for some reason paid even after their 10th season, so it would seem that many have large incentive to allow themselves to play (and play at a high level) for more than 10 seasons (or whatever the number people use as a cutoff). The fact that some players sacrifice later seasons by maximizing their current value may be admired and help their legacy in the minds of some evaluators, but doing so also ignores the fact that other players may prefer longer careers at a (still) very high level and the extra earnings that allows.
I really don't see how that has anything to do with rating the best players.

All players, even lousy ones, want to play a long time and make lots of money. Some of them had to become goons to do it. But how is that relevant?

As for legacy, these are real people we're talking about. I don't think many of them concerned themselves with legacy while they were playing the game.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote