Old
10-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I'm still surprised they traded him for crap. He wasn't bad for the Penguins.
Yes he was. Last year at least. I still like him a lot and wish him all the best, but Michalek was an awful fit for the Pens' system. The fact we gave him away for a 3rd round pick and Harrison Ruopp doesn't exactly thrill me, but Michalek really isn't going to be missed. Despres is a far better fit for the system and he's ready for real minutes...hell if this lockout drags on into next year you can probably add Morrow and Dumoulin to that list (to say nothing of Bortuzzo and Strait).

Regardless, Orpik is the only real long-term NHL veteran on the blue line now...we can't afford to dive head-first into the youth movement on defense. I'd rather see Orpik's role reduced slightly and have him paired with someone like Despres or Morrow and act as a mentor than trade him for winger help.

He's definitely on the downswing, but he still provides a unique package that doesn't exist anywhere else in the organization. Replacing Orpik with another young PMD doesn't exactly fix our defensive woes. We need his physicality and his leadership on the blue line.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-31-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote