View Single Post
Old
10-31-2012, 08:21 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
How can there be waivers if there's no CBA?

NHL contracts are pretty non-existent now, which is why players can sign in Europe. So Regin can sign an AHL deal. Right?
That's a good question.

As far as I know, the NHL and the PA agreed to a modified waivers period in September, altering waivers rules until the 15th of September that would give extended waivers rights to certain players in order to play in the AHL. There was a large wave of players who were placed on waivers on the 14th of September in order to qualify for this exemption.

AFAIK, from what I had read at the time, if you weren't waived prior to Sept 15th, then you are ineligible to play in the AHL until there is a new CBA agreement (or, failing that, another temporary mutual agreement between the league and the PA declaring a waivers amnesty or AHL eligibility amnesty for certain types of players).

Also: I'm fairly sure there's an agreement in place between the NHL and the AHL that stipulates that an AHL team cannot sign a player with an existing NHL contract to an AHL contract, ever. It's why a bunch of players signed in the crappy lower North American leagues like the UHL during the 2004/05 lockout (like Chelios, Hatcher & Draper).

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote