Thread: Value of: Viktor Tikhonov to NJ
View Single Post
Old
10-31-2012, 09:06 PM
The Green Unit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I think it's just more a case that his offensive game didn't translate terribly well to North American ice. He always has his head down, and always seems to think he has WAY, WAY more time and space than he actually does. This results in him not only taking a beating, but squandering a lot of offensive chances, and losing the puck in the offensive zone an awful lot. That said, he was a ROOKIE player his first pro season on NA ice. Adjustment time should've been expected.

Still, none of this really hurt his game in the other two zones, where was really quite impressive for a rookie.

This is why, for the life of me, I can't understand why he hasn't been kept around at least for 4th line time, with some PK spot duty, just to see if eventually his offensive game will adjust or not.

My suspicion is that his insistence on NHL or KHL (which is fair, in my opinion) has rubbed Phoenix management the wrong way. They probably want him to learn the North American game in the AHL, and he probably has no interest in earning a fraction of the money he can get in Russia, while touring around the nation in a bus, stopping in smaller cities in "fly over" states. I don't blame him. At the same time, I do understand where management is coming from.

I really think that crappy teams with terrible depth were very stupid to pass on him. Then again, I guess those teams suck for a reason. They make dumb decisions. He could've been a solid addition to teams in lotto territory.
This post, especially the last paragraph reminds me Philadelphia putting Zherdev on waivers... Hindsight is perfection but atm, Nikolai should have been worth a shot for several teams

Last edited by The Green Unit: 10-31-2012 at 09:12 PM.
The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote