View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
The evolution of Sergei Fedorov: From Soviet defector to NHL superstar to ....

....Russian rebuilder.

Pretty nice little human interest story from Cotsonika.

For some reason this stood out the most for me:

Quote:
Later, Fedorov returns to his office. He doesn't have many mementos on display, but he does have a framed picture of him and his family with Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch, taken the night he won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player and the Selke Trophy as the league's best defensive forward in 1994. Detroit is like Fedorov's other Russia. He remained loyal and returned, even though he once chose to leave. He appreciates it more with age.

Though he signed as a free agent with the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in 2003 and went on to play for the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Washington Capitals and the KHL's Metallurg Magnitogorsk, he kept a place in Detroit. He still has a townhouse there. His parents still live there. He spent a month there this summer.

"Certainly Detroit is a huge era for me," says Fedorov, who won three Stanley Cups with the Wings. "I'm talking about even from Day 1, we were a good team. We progress and gain experience and gain good players, good coaches. Eventually we won. Those days are unbelievable. As I grow older, as I gain more experience, I'm ecstatic sometimes. Sometimes I get chills."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--th...ebuilder.html?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote