View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Kulluminati

vCash: 500
I can't remember exactly but I began taking skating lessons when I was 5 and began playing organized hockey when I was 8 or so, therefore I can't tell you exactly how long it took me since I was a child.

But, I have a couple friends who took up skating as adults and it took them about a year to become 'decent'. I would say it depends on your drive, one of my buddies was lazy and only made an effort to go to fun skates like once every two weeks, he's still a pretty bad skater. The other friend took two adult skating classes and went to fun skate with his girlfriend once a week and he is now a pretty decent skater, he still doesn't look 100% natural but he's having fun playing in a D level rec league.

One thing I want to add is don't be embarrassed if you're not coming along as fast as you thought you would, skating is like learning to walk all over again... it comes natural to no one, especially as an adult. No one steps onto the ice for the first time, and then within a year, is cutting the ice up like Marian Gaborik lol. Embarrassment can hold you back a lot, don't be shy to enroll in a adult skating class, they help teach you new ways to improve and drills that you can practice on your own time (if you happen to be someone who is willing to go to fun skates) and you can make huge improvements and become a much better skater MUCH faster. I don't know how good or bad you are right now, but once you think you got the handle on skating, go to some stick and pucks and just practice everything you learned except with a hockey stick and a puck. Good luck, and cheers!

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote