Thread: Nick Cousins
View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 08:43 AM
ORYX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Big difference between Downie and Cousins. Cousins was charged with a serious crime, Downie had hockey-related issues.

Take that with a grain of salt. He obviously can't say "We aren't picking him because of the legal allegations"
I understand why he wasnt selected. Im stating I don't agree with it.

Because he has been charged does not make him guilty of anything.

Having him play in the subway series is not a distraction to anyone unless they choose to make it a distraction. He is a fine hockey player, is eligible for the WJHC, and leads the league in points.

For all we know charges will be dropped at his hearing on the 5th.

If he can play for the Greyhounds and wear an OHL sweater (at the OHL's discretion), not sure what the difference is in playing in the Subway series....

The Steve Downie incident, while a hockey incident, also cost his OHL team $35,000 and his manager his job, not so soft in the end. While Cousins incident is legal, like I said, could result in nothing, or wrongly accused etc, and he misses his opportunity to fight for a spot on his nations roster because of it. Alternatively, could be opposite, from a legal perspective. Thats why the justice system exists, you are innocent unless proven guilty. This is a case of Hockey Canada and the OHL deciding its okay for a player accused of a crime to play in their league, but not to fight for a roster spot on their countries team? Seems a little juvenile.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote