View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
TBH, I have a Yip-like feeling with McGinn. When Yip potted all his goals I said that he wouldn't be able to repeat his success, he was shooting at too high of a percentage and really wasn't all that talented.

While it's not as severe with McGinn, I have a feeling we won't be seeing much more than 15ish goals from him next season, maybe 20 (which isn't even close to the pace he scored with us, even if he hits 20). It's not a case of being untalented, but moreso of simply being lucky, working hard to impress a new coach and getting favorable opportunities when he arrived.
Strangely, I feel completely the opposite. Yip was set to be a 3rd-4th line player when he reached the NHL (the fact that he actually made it was surprising enough for me) in my opinion anyways. He always seemed to me like he was such a north-south guy with limited stickhandling and passing abilities. While he was able to put up 20 goals in 45 games in his final year of college hockey, at age 24, that's not really that impressive. The goals he actually DID score as an Av, always seemed to be due to good fortune and good positioning rather than actually being a good goalscorer, so as time wore on, his scoring touch was due to dry up.

Meanwhile, with McGinn, he scored 46 goals the year he was drafted for the 67s. Then he went on to post 19 goals in 47 games his first year pro for Worcester and then he got called up. (I'm guessing because of injuries but not sure) In my opinion, had he been left down there to continue to work on his game, he would have been way better off in the long run, instead of bringing him up to fill-in a spot with limited minutes on the 3rd or 4th lines. Throughout his time in San Jose thereafter, he kept getting shipped up and down from their farm team to the big club. They probably 'tried' him on their top 2 lines but with the teams they have had in San Jose the past 5 years, he wasn't realistically going to steal a spot from one of their veterans.

But for me, it's not just that, it's the 8 goals he scored and all of the chances he got as soon as he came over to the Avs. He immediately glued with Stastny and Jones and improved the chemistry between those two and jump-started that line. Sure there were a couple of garbage goals (that's part of his game as well) but if I remember correctly, most of them were laser-beams that left the opposing goalies little chance. You also have to keep in mind that he just turned 24 years old we should still be in line to see better things from him in the years to come.

I'm not saying he's going to be a 30 goal-scorer as early as next season but 20-25 certainly wouldn't shock me (over a FULL season) and he might even be able to surpass that someday.

Bender is online now   Reply With Quote