Thread: Proposal: Tor - Phi
View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 10:32 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I like Gardiner. But he's got a lot to prove at least on the defensive side of the puck. Two things:

1 - He was 21 last season. Couturier was 18
2 - His Corsi QoC was -0.243 and 56% of his starts were in the offensive zone. He wasn't used against the opponents top players. He played sheltered minutes (defensively). Couturier? Corsi QoC of 0.174 and only 40.3% of his starts were in the offensive zone. That shows a TON of trust in an 18 year old rookie.

Couturier IS currently valued more. Gardiner is also a valuable piece, was probably the best rookie defenceman last season. But I still put Couturier ahead.
Even with your stats, if you average the shifts / game and TOI per game. Gardiner still started an equal amount shifts in his defensive zone as Couturier. He just played more in the offensive zone... a lot more.

You have your oppinion. I have mine. Defense is the most difficult possition to play outside of goalie. You build your team from the net out. Its not often that a rookie Dman comes in and plays as well as gardiner did. Hes got a lot more to prove, however with some quality supporting players hes a piece im not willing to part with.

This doesnt mean i dont like Couturier or think hes a great player. Jake Gardiner is not replaceable. His mobility and patience with the puck is outstanding. YOu can never have enough Jake Gardiners. I drool thinking about our future PP combinations with Rielly in the cupboard.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote