Thread: Proposal: Tor - Phi
View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
One was named to the All rookie team... Obviously hes not well rounded he only had to beat out all other rookies in his position. Give me a ****ing break, this is Schenn-JVR all over again and we all know who was right in that debate. I sware flyers fans are the worst to deal with always have to be superior...
I remember both sides being pretty equally wrong in that, no?

Flyers fans (myself included) believed it would be Schenn + for JVR; Toronto fans insisted it woudl be JVR + for Schenn. Most of the time, the "plus" seemed to be a lower-level prospect or 2nd round pick--so if pressed, I think most of us probably would have admitted the straight-up value was close.

Perhaps the straight value of Gardiner and Couturier is similarly close, but unlike the JVR-Schenn deal, there's really no overriding reason to make the swap. For one thing, both Schenn and JVR needed new starts--I think everyone could agree on that--and given that I can't remember any speculation about Luke to Philly before the acquisition of Brayden, I suspect that the Flyers saw a strong (but largely immeasurable) intangible value in uniting the two brothers.

In contrast, there's really no pressing reason for either side to make this move. Couturier may or may not fit Toronto's long-terrm need for a 1C, and while Gardiner would certainly add some speed and puck-moving to the Flyers blue-line, he doesn't really project to the franchise-type 1D that the team needs. As mentioned several times, the Flyers depth at D is fine, and on the whole, their 1-5 isn't really weak at all, so much as it is bottom-heavy (Timonen, Coburn, Mezsaros*, Schenn, Grossmann). Their problem is the lack of a true #1, and Gardiner doesn't do much do address that.

I don't know if the value is off, but it just doesn't seem like a fit that makes a lot of sense for the Flyers.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 11-01-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote