View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 12:12 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
I agree that it is completely outside the power of the CHLPA (if it is or becomes a legit organization) to somehow get the NCAA to stop treating CHL players as "professionals" and allow them to become eligible. Only the NCAA can decide to change their definition of "professional" and there are a lot of politics involved.

CHL grads are already getting good education packages from the WHL, OHL and QMJHL. As well, individual CHL teams can and do sometimes bump up past the minimum guaranteed education package (roughly tuition and fees) for their stud draftees out of Midget to help ensure they go the CHL route and not turn towards the NCAA. One should also remember that the current CHL packages are guaranteed, even if you don't play hockey anymore. The only way to lose the package is to play pro more than 18 months after finishing Junior.

Now, if the CHLPA could somehow get that exception changed so that CHL grads would never lose their education package, I agree that is probably a good thing for the player. There are a few CIS players now who played a couple of years of minor pro hockey and have lost their education packages. But there are only a few now, and if that was to change, you might see the average age of CIS players climb even higher, creating a bigger age gap with other varsity athletes on campus. I don't know if you would consider that good or bad.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote