Thread: Diaz
View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 11:50 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Rise from the Ashes;55439027]Hamrlik was in the negative plus/minus every year until he played in Edmonton. Essentially he was 25 when he started improving his play defensively and became a two-way presence. To say he was already "polished" is an overstatement.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2125

Not saying Emelin will be as good as Hamrlik was at age 25, because he isnt even right now. But Hamrlik did have more NHL seasoning at age 25 than Emelin. Communication is the main thing preventing him from reaching that potential.[/QUOTE]

I'd say Hamrlik's skillset was polished. But to use plus/minus as a gauge just isn't fair in Hamrlik's case. As another poster said he was the first player ever to wear a Lightning sweater. You don't think Hamrlik had communication issues? And better yet he had no countryman to turn to like Emelin does with Markov. Hamrlik had a team thrown on his back and spoke no English at the tender age of 18. That's a lot for a kid to handle.

Edited to add that I like both Diaz and Emelin. In fact those two plus PK give me something to look forward to when the season gets underway. I'll be interested to see how Diaz and Emelin fair in their sophomore years and how PK shakes off his sophomore year. Not that PK was bad. To be fair, he didn't have the help he needed.

Last edited by swimmer77: 11-01-2012 at 12:00 PM.
swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote